Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happiest New Year!

I should probably be writing about Barcelona while the thoughts are fresh in my mind. Don’t fret, however, I took notes. “Top Ten in Barcelona,” as requested by Stephen Solomon, will be appearing early in the New Year.

Today, I want to take a few minutes to reflect. 2009 has, without a doubt, been the best year of my life. It wasn’t all great. Terrible, tragic things have happened. I spent most of the year feeling trapped and unhappy. But, surely this year has marked a turning point in my life. Last year, I was working at the library in my hometown, stuck in a relationship that was mediocre at best, beginning to resign myself to the idea that such a life was my fate. Now, I live in Europe, study environmental science and am very rarely bored.

I’m look back at New Year’s 2009 – dancing, playing the jukebox, orange tongues, eating delicious foods, and wizards. I’m remembering my lovely coworkers at North Hill and the friends I made subbing at Main. I loved being a part of that community and the ASCPL will always remain my extended family. I am thankful for the time I was able to spend with my family -the holidays, the dinners; seeing my parents at work. It was nice to be close to home for a while, and I'm thankful for their love and support everyday.

The house at N. Rose was lovely, if occasionally dysfunctional. I loved the people, Brett, Elisa, Jon, and the revolving roommates – Jaimy, Dave, David, Mary. I always enjoyed the company and having someone to share my cooking with. We had a front porch, a backyard and a compost pile. I had an amazing spice rack and a stocked pantry. There was always someone around to watch movies with or chat. We had some great cookouts, a beautiful garden and the friendliest dog and cat you could hope for.

I am thinking about my very best friends, the kind who live in Chicago - old friends and new friends. Most especially, Katharine Fronk, whose emails bring me home and make me laugh, and Vladimir the cat, whose purr and fur I miss often, especially as I’m laying down to bed. I know he’s happy now, tormenting Kat and Tilly with his ridiculous antics and unending ability to shed. There were so many great Chicago trips in 2009. New Year’s, Valentine’s Day, Taste of Chicago, Pitchfork and my farewell cat-delivery visit. Thank you Chicago people. I will see you again someday.

There were the sporadic visits from Stephen that always made the month. Stephen, thank you so much for encouraging me to apply to MESPOM and CEU. You have sincerely and directly changed my life. There was Dave McDowell, always the best company for a long chat about life. Mike Leonhardt, my oldest friend, who has always been there for me. I miss watching the Office with you and eating junk food. We had an amazing day in the woods, getting rained on and acting like children.

At the end of my American 2009 things fell apart. I totaled my car, left my relationship and my house. I did my best to pack for two years, and did an absolutely terrible job. I said my goodbyes as well as I could and hopped on a plane to Budapest.

Now I live a very different life. I am a student again. I don’t understand most of what’s going on around me but I’ve learned to get by. I’ve accomplished my goals of not having a car, of living in a city (with a Metro!) and of traveling. I have friends from every continent. The MESPOM and ENVS people have become my international family. I am so thankful for every one of them and my opportunity to share experiences with them – picnics, Lake Balaton, Szimpla, landfills, drinking in the streets, vodka with salami and all the good times that are sure to come.

I just went on my first trip, alone, to Barcelona and I’ll tell you more about it soon. In short, it was a liberating and confidence-building trip. I am not accustomed to being so optimistic, but life now feels like it holds so much possibility. At home I was feeling old, and resigned. Now I feel young and wild and free. I am learning who I am without the context of the familiar. I am learning that I am capable. I cannot wait for 2010 and the unending potential it holds: Five more months to discover Budapest and the surroundings. Greece in May. Two months open for adventures. Autumn in Manchester, UK.

Friends, wherever you are, put on your New Year’s dress and say hello to a new decade. Here’s to 2010. To knowing better and learning faster. To growth and passion and opportunity. To everyone who made me who I am today and those who are helping to shape my future. I am so grateful!

Egészségedre!

No comments:

Post a Comment