Friday, January 29, 2010

I feel so funny.

This has nothing to do with my travels - but, actually, it does. I've certainly met a few Wally Campbell's. One of my favorite passages ever. Is it wrong to hope that we'll get some more Salinger now that he's dead? I know he wouldn't like it - but the rest of us would.


"Oh, I remember...Listen, don't hate me because I can't remember some person immediately. Especially when they look like everybody else and talk and dress and act like everybody else. " Franny made her voice stop. It sounded to her so cavilling and bitchy, and she felt a wave of self-hatred that, quite literally, made her forehead begin to perspire again. But her voice picked up again, in spite of herself. "I don't mean there's anything horrible about him or anything like that. It's just that for four solid years I've kept seeing Wally Campbell's wherever I go. I know when they're going to be charming, I know when they're going to start telling you some really nasty gossip about some girl that lives in your dorm, I know when they're going to ask me what I did over the summer, I know when they're going to pull up a chair and straddle it backward and start bragging in a terribly, terribly quiet voice-or name dropping, in a terribly quiet, casual voice. There's an unwritten law that people in a certain social or financial bracket can name-drop as much as they like as long as they say something terribly disparaging about the person as soon as they've dropped his name-that he's a bastard or a nymphomaniac, or takes dope all the time or something horrible." She broke off again. She was quiet for a moment, turning the ashtray in her fingers and being careful not to look up and see Lane's expression. "I'm sorry," she said. "It isn't just Wally Campbell. I'm just picking on him because you mentioned him. And because he just looks like someone who spent the summer in Italy or someplace."


"He was in France last summer, for your information," Lane stated. "I know what you mean," he added quickly, "but you're being goddam un-"

"All right," Franny said wearily. "France." She took a cigarette out of the pack on the table. "It isn't just Wally. It could be a girl for goodness' sake. I mean, if he were a girl-someone in my dorm, for example-he would have been painting scenery for some stock company all summer. Or bicycled through Wales. Or taken an apartment in New York and worked for a magazine or an advertising company. It's everybody, I mean. Everything everybody does is so-I don't know-not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and - sad making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much as everybody else, only in a different way." She stopped. She shook her head briefly, her face was quite white and for just a fractional moment she felt her forehead with her hand- less, it seemed, to see if she was perspiring than to check to see, as if she were her own parent, whether she had a fever. "I feel so funny," she said. "I think I'm going crazy. Maybe I'm already crazy."

from Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

No comments:

Post a Comment